Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Ruby in the Smoke


I recently finished reading The Ruby in the Smoke, by Phillip Pullman. It portrays Sally Lockhart, orphaned daughter of the newly deceased Matthew Lockhart, as a sixteen-year-old girl in London, 1872. Upon receiving an anonymous message telling her to 'beware the seven blessings,' she visits her the company her father owned to inquire about the mysterious note. When she mentions it to an employee, he dies of fear. Sally is soon thrust into a dangerous game centering around a ruby, illegally imported opium, and herself. Pursued by cutthroats and thugs at every turn, she must discover who wants her dead, and what is has to do with the infamous red gem.

The book is written in third person, allowing the reader a glimpse of the going-ons in the lives of Sally's enemies, allies, and acquaintances in addition to her own. I think this was a very good choice, as it keeps the reader informed better than the main character, heightening the suspense. I thought the book was very well written, with a lot of descriptive language. The unique characters have very definitive personalities, instigating feelings of empathy or dislike in the reader. Overall, I thought this was an amazing book, filled with mystery, intrigue, and many surprises. I couldn't stop reading, and now that I'm finished I can't wait to read the next one. I recommend it to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment