Monday, November 19, 2012

Gilda Joyce: Psychic investigator


I received this book as a present a while ago. Based on the title, I assumed it would be sci-fi, and while I like some science fiction,  I'm not a huge fan, so I wasn't really looking forward to reading it.  The book investigates paranormal activity, mostly ghosts and spirits, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that the book is a mesh of numerous genres. It has elements of sci-fi, but it leans more towards realistic fiction. The main character, Gilda, often ranges between eccentric and absurd. At 13, she's working hard to develop her three careers: writing novels, spying on her neighbors, and honing her skills as a detective of the paranormal. Determined to do something intresting with her summer, Gilda takes the liberty of writing to her mother's estranged second cousin, Lester Splinter, in San Fransisco, asking to be invited to his home. Mostly due to a miscommunication between Mr. Splinter and his assistant, she procures an invitation. Upon her arrival, she soon discovers that something is not quite right at the home of Mr. Splinter and his 13 year old daughter, Juliet. 

Gilda is so distinct and unique that the reader can't help wanting to read more, and I found myself finished with the book in two days. One of the main reasons I think this book is so appealing to many readers is its relatability. While most people at 13 don't write to distant relatives they have never met before in the hopes of being invited to their homes, don't don wigs and various disguises to spy on people, and don't attempt to open a private investigative business of unexplained phenomena, Gilda still struggles with issues we all deal with—loss, loneliness. I highly recomend this book to everyone; it's unlike anything I've ever read, and I can not wait to start the second installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment